It’s now a tradition. The VR Awards reward the materials, games, experiences, movies, etc. of the year. Here are the finalists for this 2019 edition, which will take place on November 11th.
The rewards for the best creations in virtual reality are already being prepared even if the deadline is quite distant. The ceremony, which will take place on 11 November in London, has just presented the finalists.
12 categories have been defined and a prize will be awarded to each winner. Little difference with the categories present last year except for the disappearance of the Architecture and Real Estate category in favor of VR solutions for companies.
Here is the list of nominees for each category. We also had fun writing to give you a prognosis and risk us to propose our favorite for each award that will be awarded.
Virtual Reality Hardware of the Year for the 2019 VR Awards
Here we find different materials. Headphones of virtual reality of course but also accessories like a haptic combination thought for VR.
- Oculus Quest
- XTAL 5K HMD from VRgineers
- Oculus Rift S
- HTC Vive Pro Eye
- Teslasuit from VR Electronics
- HP Reverb
Our favorite is undoubtedly the Oculus Quest for its commercial success and its ability to mainstream VR.
Virtual reality game of the year
The VR Awards have selected 13 virtual reality games that will compete for the prize. Note the notable absence of Beat Saber, the game phenomenon.
- ASTRO BOT Rescue Mission of the studio SIEE & ASOBI Team
- Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice VR Edition of Ninja Theory Studio
- Shadow Point from Coatsink Studio
- Blood & Truth from Sony London Studio
- Vacation Simulator from Owlchemy Labs
- Falcon Age from Outerloop Games studio
- Transpose of the Secret Location studio
- First Contact Entertainment Firewall Zero Hour
- CREED: Rise to Glory ™ from Survios Studio
- FREEDIVER: Triton Down from Archiact studio
- Angry Birds VR: Isle of Pigs from the Resolution Games studio
- A Fisherman’s Tale from Innerspace VR & ARTE France
- PROZE: Enlightenment from SignSine Studio
We believe that Astro Bot: Rescue Mission will win the prize.
Virtual reality experience of the year 2019
The ceremony will also designate the best VR experience of the year. Here are the selected ones.
- Vader Immortal: A Star Wars VR Series – ILMxLAB Episode I & Oculus Studios
- Eleven Eleven from NBC Universal & Digital Domain
- Awake from StartVR
- Curfew: Join The Race by REWIND & SkyVR
- Where Thoughts Go by Lucas Rizzotto
- The Scream VR from Cinétévé Experience & Backlight Studio
Vader Immortal: A Star Wars VR Series is well positioned to win the 2019 award.
VR Awards 2019: best VR movie of the year
Among the short films published this year in virtual reality, the jury has selected 9 candidates.
- Wolves in the Walls: It’s All Over by Fable Studios, Third Rail Projects and Oculus Story Studio
- the bOnd studios Grammatik Agency
- Crow: The Legend of Baobab Studios
- Cycles at Walt Disney Animation Studios
- The Great C from Secret Location & Electric Shepherd Productions
- Lucid from Breaking Fourth Limited Studios
- Traveling While Black from Felix & Paul Studios Studios
- Aripi Studios Simpals Studio
- Grenfell: Our Home of Parable Studios, Channel 4 & 59 Productions
Cycles from Walt Disney Studios remains our favorite for this year.
The marketing operation of the year 2019
Here are the virtual reality marketing campaigns selected for the 2019 event.
- Oasis Pocket Adventure: The Infrunite Slide of the company Backlight, Orangina Suntory & Marcel
- Porsche “Hall of Legends” VR Experience from UDG Ludwigsburg, Nerdindustries & Porsche
- Qualcomm Snapdragon Tech Summit 2018 Invitations from Qualcomm Technologies
- S 1000 RR VR company NUMENA & BMW
- Ledvizor VR-presentation space of the company Proektmarketing +1 & Ledvizor
- VR experience for Santos de Cartier launch of LR Studio & Cartier
- Lone Echo II: Trailer Experience from Ready At Dawn
- Ford ‘WheelSwap’ RV from Happy Finish, H + K Strategies & Ford
For us, Lone Echo II is the experience that will win.
VR Awards 2019: Rising Company of the Year for Virtual Reality
The jury has nominated 9 companies that have distinguished themselves this year in the field of VR. Here are the elect.
- Maze Theory
- Fable Studio
Hologate is without a doubt the winner for the prize.
Innovative Company of the Year for the 2019 VR Awards
Here are the companies selected for the award of the innovative company of the year for virtual reality.
- Make Real
- Fundamental Surgery
- Amaze VR
- Spinview UK
- Emblematic group
- Ballast Technologies
- Avantis Systems
Make Real is in our opinion best placed to win the title.
Educational product in virtual reality of the year
Ten products for education, training or apprenticeships have been designated for the 2019 Awards.
- Breaking Boundaries in Science by Filament Games
- Working at Height from Vodafone & Make Real
- IsReality (Isbank) of Isbank
- Virtual Training Ship Simulation (VTS) from Orka Informatics
- Training: Nanopixel & Eandis replaces low voltage fuses without life-threatening risks
- Somewhere Else’s BODYSWAPS®
- ClassVR from Avantis Systems
- DHL: Gamification of the Cargo Loading VR Training Immerse Process & DHL
- Exoplanet Explorers 2 from Engine House VFX
- Mighty Masters from MOYOSA Media
Our favorite for this edition is Exoplanet Explorers 2.
Virtual reality health product for the 2019 VR Awards
The list of virtual reality health innovations selected for the ceremony.
- GE Healthcare: Increasing Training Opportunities for Radiographers Through VR from the Immerse Group
- Oxford Medical Simulation Oxford Medical Simulation Group
- Fundamental Surgery (FS) Fundamental Surgery Group
- Precision OS Technology Augmented Baseplate Shoulder Simulation & Patient Specific Planning
- Oxford VR Group Fear of Heights (clinical acrophobia)
- VR for Psychosis Research and Treatment at Virtualware & King’s College London
The simulation of Oxford Medical deserves, in our opinion, the trophy.
Activity out of the house of the year in virtual reality
Here are the activities to do outside of home for the year in virtual reality according to the jury of the 2019 Awards.
- Ralph Breaks VR from ILMxLAB & The VOID
- VRSlide from Ballast Technologies & Wiegand.Maelzer
- DIVR Golem VR
- Chained: A Victorian Nightmare from MWMi
- Curse of the Lost Pearl: A Dreamscape Immersive Magic Projector Experience
- FaBIOS Fantastic Fun Factory by Holocafe
- Sol Raiders by Zero Latency
- Arizona Sunshine LBVR from Vertigo Games & Jaywalkers Interactive
- TOYLAND: CRAZY MONKEY by Ymagis & Backlight Studio
- Beyond Medusa’s Gate by Ubisoft Blue Byte
- HUXLEY 2 – THE ADVENTURE BEGINS from EXIT Adventures
- War Remains from Flight School Studio
Beyound Medusa’s Gate looks set to win.
VR applications that had an impact on the year
Apps with social impact now have their category for these 2019 Awards. Here are the nominees.
- RSA CONSEQUENCES of BBDO DUBLIN
- X-Ray Fashion by Vulcan Productions
- Anne Frank House VR from Force Field Entertainment
- Dementia Yn Fy Nwylo / First Hand of Galactig
- CHILDREN DO NOT PLAY WAR by VILD Studio
- The 100% – Maggie’s Story by Springbok Entertainment
- Ghost Fleet VR by Vulcan Productions
- Common Ground by East City Films
- Mercy de Artie
- The Right Choice – ICRC of Visualize, Do not Panic & ICRC
We think that the experience in Anne Frank’s room will win the title.
VR solution for companies of the year
Finally, here are the best solutions in virtual reality for companies selected this year for the ceremony in London.
- Lloyds Resilience & Vitality of Make Real & Lloyds Banking Group
- MixCast VR Marketing System from VBlueprint Reality Group
- VR Autodesk Group Collaboration – Autodesk VRED
- Athena from Goodpatch Group
- VIROO: Virtualware Immersive Room from Virtualware Group
- VR Command Center of Elara Systems Group
Autodesk is our favorite for the VR solution of the year.
We will not fail to give you the names of the winners in all these categories at the ceremony to be held in London on November 11th. As a reminder, you can find the list of the winner VR Awards of the year 2018 in our special file on the results of the event.