Graphics tablets allow artists and creative professionals to make digital versions of their creations. While some consumer tablets have features for drawing, a specially designed graphics tablet remains the best choice for serious animators and creators. There are two main types of graphics tablets: the first model allows you to see your work directly on it, so the price is likely to be higher; the other displays your creation on a computer with the help of software like Illustrator or Sai. You do not really know which is the best tablet for you? Do not worry, we’ve included both types of tablets in this list.
The best graphics tablets in 2019:
1. XP-Pen Artist 15.6
The best overall, point by point
– Extra wide viewing angle
– An optimal and comfortable work area
– Hard to say
The Artist16 is an XP-Pen graphics tablet with an extra-wide viewing angle and a host of original features that make it an excellent all-rounder choice for most artists. With a Full HD IPS 1080P screen, your creations will come alive with bright colors and good definition. An extra-wide viewing angle of 178 degrees gives you the canvas you need to achieve your design. And with 2,078 pressure points, this tablet works without any problem for drawing, painting, editing, design, sketching, and animation.
The Artist16 comes with two rechargeable pens, a black anti-fouling glove, and an HDMI adapter. It has 8 keys that allow you to avoid having headaches since they allow you to focus more on the creative part. The area of the screen is adjustable, which will also give you the freedom and flexibility you need to be able to target the work area. Finally, the tablet is compatible with Sai, Photoshop and most consumer design software.
- RESOLUTION: 1920×1080; display area: 344.16 x 193.59 mm, 15.6 inches; Display Ratio: 16: 9; screen: IPS HD; angle of view: 178 °
- ULTRA FINE and COMMODE. Thickness: 11mm; connection interface: USB on the tablet
- PEN: passive, without worry of battery or charge. The pressure sensitivity of 8192 levels. Two customizable stylus buttons
- 6 SHORTCUTS all customizable. Configuration buttons: Brightness +/-, interrupt button
- The most recent driver is available on the XP-PEN official website. Compatibility: Windows 10/8/7 / Vista and Mac OS (newer than 10.10.x); Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, SAI Paint Tool, PAINT Studio Clip, OpenCanvas, Krita, Zbrush, Gimp, Blender, etc.
2. Wacom Mobile Studio Pro
The 2nd most versatile of this ranking
– Surely the most powerful on the market
– Incredible resolution
– Performance for demanding professionals
– Exorbitant prices even for basic versions
The Mobile Studio Pro is Wacom’s flagship tablet, one of the most advanced and powerful on the market, manufactured by the industry leader. It comes with compute power and professional graphics that can run powerful 3D and CAD applications right on the tablet, allowing you to perform relatively advanced operations anywhere you can bring your tablet. The screen has a resolution of 2560 x 1440 pixels and higher color quality, just like a QHD screen.
The tablet is also designed to make the creative process as easy as possible. With multi-touch express keys, side commands, and strategically integrated shortcuts, you can optimize your workflow in the way that best suits your creative process. The new Wacom Pro Pen 2 also allows you to reach new levels of design with a stylus precision and pressure sensitivity 4 times higher, giving you the most sophisticated and precise feel of a design “Pen on paper”.
- MobileStudio Pro 13 “is a slim, lightweight tablet that contains a powerful set of tools to help you harness your creative potential with the Intel Core i5 processor
- Compatible with many software such as Corel Painter or Paintshop Pro X, this 128GB multi-touch tablet is ideal for graphic design and image processing
- Supplied with the Wacom Pro Pen 2 pen and its 8192 pressure levels, the high-resolution tablet offers 96% color accuracy, for impressive results
- Thanks to thcolourxpressKeys keys and the Touch Ring multifunction button, you navigate like on a smartphone. Works under Windows 10
- Delivery: 1 x Pen tablet, MobileStudio Pro 13 “, 128GB, Black Dimensions (LxW): 36.7cm x 22.9cm Pen, replacement tips, power cable, Quick Start Guide included
3. Turcom TS-6610
The most interesting budget level
– Value for money difficult to match
– Good work surface and good sensitivity
– Far from the resolutions of the cadors
Perfect your skills on this entry-level graphics tablet before investing hundreds of dollars in a professional graphics tablet. The screen measures 10 x 6.25 inches, which gives you a large drawing area, while a resolution of 4,000 lines per inch will convert well to the image on your computer. The pencil has 2,048 levels of sensitivity, giving you precise control over brush effects and line width while you draw. The tablet is compatible with all major design software and has eight express keys to refine your workflow.
4. Wacom Cintiq 13HD Interactive Pen Display
The best for professionals
– Nice working comfort
– Heavy professionalism
– The anti-glare coating not up to the height
– Not great on the side of the viewing angles
Cintiq is one of the most prestigious and renowned graphic tablet brands on the market, and the 13.3-inch display on this tablet is superb. The 1920×1080 HD display shows your drawing right on the screen for ultimate control of your creation, allowing you to recreate your work in 16.7 million colors. The “on-screen” experience really differs from the pads that only transmit to the screen of your computer. This comfortable and lightweight device is ergonomically designed to fit your design style, while the included Pro Pen changes the brush size and line weight as you wish.
Four customizable express keys and multi-touch gestures enhance your efficiency, while the compact, lightweight design makes it easy to place on your lap. A 22HD version is also available, giving you even more freedom of expression.
- Compact, slim design for minimal footprint
- 8 cm (13.3-inch) 1920 x 1080 high-resolution Full HD LED display with 16.7 million colors
- New Pro Pen with 2,048 levels of pressure sensitivity for precise, natural control
- Removable base adjustable to three working angles
- Easy connection to a Mac or PC computer with the new 3 in 1 cable
5. Huion H610 Pro
The best graphics pad
– Excellent for demanding amateur use
– How to explain such a small price compared to the competition?
– Pilots a little annoying sometimes
– English documentation
Designed in the spirit of office work, this ultra-thin tablet is wireless and fits perfectly to your desktop with its keyboard, which represents an extra space for graphic designers. The tablet connects to your PC or Mac, and it works on Illustrator, Maya and other graphic design software. It has a wireless connection distance of 6 meters and a 2500mAh battery that can last up to 40 hours. Its elegant design separates the control area from the design area, so you can work without worrying that your palm will accidentally touch the screen. The device has 6 customizable buttons and 2,048 pressure levels.
- The resolution reaches 5080 lines per inch, so the print will not lose the little things, even if the creation is the big picture
- 8192 pressure levels on stylus point to perfectly express your creativity
- 8 Express Keys and 16 Customizable Function Keys offer a plethora of ways to tailor your software experience and increase the efficiency of your work.
- The H610 Pro comes with a stylus that is thinner and lighter and has a life of 450 hours after 2 hours of charging
- A 10 ” x 6.25 ” workspace and 233 rpm notification rates let you create your artwork with precision and smoothness
6. Galaxy Tab S3
The best on Android
– Exceptional stylus and perfect sensitivity
– Versatility and performance
– Little to say
Samsung equips its Galaxy tablets with the best stylus available on the mass market. The S Pen offers real pressure and sensitivity that rivals pens designed exclusively for drawing on tablets. This stylus never needs to be recharged, and it can be used for a wide variety of styles and with many devices.
In addition to having the best stylus in its class, the Galaxy Tab S3 is an excellent versatile tablet. It has a Super AMOLED display for deep contrast and extraordinary colors. It also comes with four (Quad) powerful speakers set by AKG, as well as an ultra-lightweight keyboard that can be attached to the tablet to function as a notebook for word processing. It features a powerful 12-hour battery and a fast quad-core Snapdragon processor.
- Screen: 9.7 cm 2048 x 1536
- Storage and memory: 4 GB RAM, 32 GB hard drive
- Processor: Quad-Core unknown (Octo Core) Ghz
- Graphics Card: Other
- Connectivity: 0 HDMI port (s) 0 USB 2.0 port (s), 1 USB 3.0 port (s) 0 VGA port (s)
7. iPad Pro
The best at Apple
– Incredible power and impressive screen
– Apple Ergonomics better suited than Android
– Beautiful design and finish Apple
– The price
– A weak battery
Featuring a 10.5-inch screen, this latest iPad Pro is a powerful tool for drawing, thanks to the Apple Pen and ultra-precise retina screen. The tablet is light and super thin, weighing just over a pound and measuring 0.2 inches thick. Its powerful A10X Fusion chip, featuring a 64-bit architecture and an integrated M10 coprocessor, delivers fast performance, while the 10.5-inch retina display and 2224 x 1668 resolution deliver outstanding HD resolution at 264 pixels per inch. Other features included that one can not neglect: a 12MP camera with 4K HD video, a 7 MP FaceTime HD camera and 10 hours of battery life. Moreover, thanks to office class performance,
- 7 “Retina display, 2048 x 1536 resolution, wide color gamut, True Tone display.
8. Simbans PicassoTab 10 inches
The best with a small screen
– Little price
– Perfect for carrying everywhere
– Small disconcerting screen if you do not have the habit
– Not intended for all uses
Artists who prefer a smaller screen will appreciate this PicassoTab which has a 10-inch IPS HD screen and 32GB of memory. In addition, if you prefer a larger screen, you can use the HDMI or Bluetooth mini port to connect your tablet to a large screen for drawing or watching movies. The screen resolution is 1,200 x 800, and it ships 1 GB DDR3 of RAM for fast performance. The tablet comes with a responsive drawing pen. It’s not pressuring sensitive, but the Autodesk Sketchbook app lets you adjust the pressure to your preference.
- TABLET, ACTIVE PEN and 3 FREE BONUS ITEMS inside the box – A high-quality tablet case, a universal power adapter and a screen protector (pre-applied) – A total value of € 40 inside the box as well as a 10-inch tablet and an active pen.
- CLEAR SCREEN, BIG DISK, and TV CONNECTIVITY: The HD IPS screen resolution makes images extremely clear and 32GB of the disc allows you to download thousands of free games from the Google Play Store which is preinstalled on your tablet. Connect your tablet to the TV via its micro HDMI port and watch your favorite movies on the big screen. One of the best tablets for watching movies on Netflix, playing games and surfing the internet.
- TAKING NOTES or DRAWING DIAGRAMS – Comes with an active pen and Autodesk Sketchbook app pre-installed to take conversation notes in the classroom or draw pictures. It is the most affordable tablet and comes with a pen.
- TV CONNECTIVITY – Connect your tablet to your home Wifi network and you can take this tablet wherever you go in the house, which means you’ll never miss out on entertainment. Bluetooth, GPS, and mini USB port provide all the connectivity options you need. The MediaTek Quadri-core high-power processor enhances the multitasking capabilities of the tablet.
- CERTIFIED QUALITY and FREE PURCHASE – Certified by Google, FCC, and CE give you peace of mind about safety and quality. The product comes with a 1-year warranty and our support team provides the best customer service. We are ready to receive any questions you may have.
9. Wacom Intuos Pro Paper Edition
The best paper / digital report
– Perfect ergonomics and smooth use
– High-speed wireless connection
– Pretty complicated to take in hand
Some people will always prefer the touch and the practicality of the drawing on a piece of paper while wishing digital versions of their creations in order to be able to download them and modify them. If you are one of these people, then Intuos Pro Paper Edition is perfect: it allows you to capture and download paper illustrations in an entirely digital form in a matrix or vector file. Just use the new Pro Pen 2 technology from the Intuos Pro tablet. It incorporates a removable paper clip and a 4 mm fine tip pen. Just place the paper on the tablet and start sketching. Your work will be captured on the tablet, even if you are not connected to the Internet.
The Pro Pen 2 also delivers the most accurate performance, with 4x accuracy higher than previous versions for offset-free tracking and tilt recognition. The tablet is very comfortable to hold, opting for a slim and light edition that offers a good feeling in your hands and on your knees. 8 express keys can be programmed at your convenience, while a tactile ring controls the rotation of the canvas and other functions.
- Combine the latest technologies offered by a Wacom graphics tablet with the familiar use of drawing paper, thanks to the Intuos Pro Paper Edition wireless tablet
- Attach the A4 size paper pad of your choice to the surface of the tablet. It captures each stroke with a wireless connection, then syncs your creatives using Inkspace
- This tablet is supplied with the Fine-tip pen (0.4mm tip) for your drawings on paper, as well as the Pro Pen 2 pen with 8192 pressure levels, for tablet use
- Thanks to the 8 ExpressKeys keys and the Touch Ring multifunction button, you navigate like on a smartphone. Compatible with computers running Windows 7 and higher, or MacOS X 10.10 and higher
- Delivery: 1 x Pen Tablet, Intuos Pro Large Paper, Black. Dimensions (LxW): 43cm x 28,7cm. Pen, pen, USB cable, installation guide, pen holder, spare tips included
The criteria for buying a graphics tablet: how to choose?
When you select the tablet you will use, several criteria come into play. It is essential in the first place to know exactly what is the size of the drawing area.
Size of the drawing area
The drawing area or active area is the part of the device where you work. This is the canvas that will host your graphic creations. It is often surrounded by auxiliary buttons, and you should know that the size of the tablet is not the size of the work area (tablets are usually larger than the work area). If you’re just starting out, there’s no need to buy a tablet with a huge work area. A6 or A7 format will be suitable for amateurs, while professionals will prefer larger A4 or A3 formats.
It is measured in line per inch (LPI) or Point Per Inch (DPI), and the higher it is, the more precision you can work with. Beginners can be satisfied with just 1000 LPI while professionals will prefer resolutions approaching 5080 LPI.
It’s a vital element when you choose your graphics tablet. It must be comfortable and you do not feel the difference with conventional pens. Some pens come with a battery and others without. Most models offer programmable buttons to speed up your use of the graphics tablet. Functions like right-clicking, left-clicking or simply erasing in graphics software by holding down the button.
The pressure level indicates how sensitive the active area of your tablet is. The higher it is, the more control you will have. You will be easy by pressing lightly with the stylus to change the appearance of the lines (thickness, transparency, color …) and to have more successful drawings. Beginners will be content with tablets with pressure levels of 512 while professionals will aim for a minimum of 2048 or 8192 for more complex works.
Connectivity & Storage
Tablets can be wireless or wired. Although most entry-level tablets offer a basic USB 2.0 connection, some offer a Wi-Fi connection calibrated to a minimum of 2.4 GHz. More professional tablets offer multiple ways to connect to your device (HDMI, VGA, DVI, USB, Wi-Fi …). It will be necessary to make your choice according to your station of work ………
Another interesting aspect to the presence of internal storage space or a slot to insert a micro SD card. This allows you to move your work from one workstation to another without much effort, which is very useful when working on multiple devices.
You do not need to spend a fortune to acquire a graphics tablet. Be aware that for beginners, it will usually take a lot of time (weeks or months) to get used to a graphics tablet perfectly. Contrary to what we think, a graphics tablet will not make you draw better from the start, it will be the opposite.
It will take a long learning process to gradually return to a decent level of creativity, and then to surpass oneself thanks to the benefits of the tablet. So remember to choose an entry-level tablet to start (about 50 €) and gradually (depending on your needs) you can buy more expensive tablets (up to + 5000 €).
You have to be aware of the criteria that must be considered when choosing your tablet. It will be necessary to pay attention to the resolution of the screen, the size of the zone of drawing, the type of stylus, the level of pressure and the connections of the apparatus. Incidentally, additional functions may be taken into account when you choose.